Marshall is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), and serves on the Practice Committee.
He is a member of the Knoxville (co-chair of Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee), Tennessee, and American Bar Associations, and the Knoxville Estate Planning Council. Marshall is also a member of the American Bar Association’s Section of Real Property, Trust, and Estate Law and is a past president of the Knoxville Estate Planning Council.
Marshall was a member of the Uniform Trust Code Study Committee which promulgated Tennessee’s 2004 revision to the statutory law of trusts, a Fellow of the Knoxville Bar Foundation, an honorary organization which makes grants to organizations providing social services to those in need, a former Board Member of Tennessee Parks & Greenways Foundation, a not-for-profit organization seeking to preserve and expand Tennesse’s natural treasures, and a member of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of Legal Aid of East Tennessee, which provides pro bono legal services to clients in poverty.
- Griswold, et al., “Big Changes to Tennessee Uniform Trust Code: 10 Things You Should Know”, 49 TENN. BAR J. 20 (December 2013).
- “Tennessee Uniform Trust Code: New Formulation For A Trusty Tool,” 41 TENN. BAR J. 24 (January 2005).
- “Planning Distributions from Qualified Plans,” Tax, Probate & Trust (Tennessee Bar Assoc., March 1994).
Marshall speaks to professional groups on estate planning topics such as “Conservation Easements,” “Distributions from Retirement Plans,” and “GST Elections on Gift Tax Returns.”
- Burke v. Langdon, 190 S.W.3d 660 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2005).
- Nuclear Fuel Services, Inc. v. Huddleston, 920 S.W.2d 659 (Tenn. Ct. App. 1995).
- Simmons v. Russell, 1989 Tenn. App. LEXIS 443 (June 13, 1989).